How to boost your digital fundraising strategy through sports
22 February 2021
It has been a year since the arrival of the Covid-19 pandemic in our lives. A year in which the world has changed, the way we relate to each other, the way we work… A year of many restrictions with a devastating economic impact to which the third sector is no stranger.
Many nonprofits, especially small and medium-sized ones, are seeing their livelihoods in jeopardy due to falling revenue and the cessation of fundraising events.
From migranodearena we want to encourage and help all those entities to experience this “dangerous” situation as an opportunity to promote their digital Fundraising strategy. In this article, we give you some recommendations and examples of the convenience of digitizing a sporting event and how it can become a fundraising success story.
Benefits of creating sporting events in digital format:
- The organization of the event and the fundraising is done in digital media, so it is much easier to organize and much cheaper than organizing a traditional Fundraising sporting event.
- Organizing a sporting event online enables you to reach new donors and expand the database with new leads.
- It is a way to diversify the source of funding and can serve as a lever to create other digital Fundraising events.
- The use of online resources allows segmenting and making your cause known to an audience related to it.
- Ina context such as the one in which we live of discouragement and pandemic fatigue, organizing a solidarity and sports event digitally, your entity will become a promoter of values closely linked to sport such as effort, overcoming, perseverance, respect, solidarity, personal success and collective.
- With mobility restrictions and the impossibility of holding races in person, there are many athletes waiting for an excuse to put on some sneakers and make their footsteps leave a mark.
Two different ways to succeed with sports and digital event:
- Organize a virtual and solidarity race:
Organizing a virtual and solidarity race is very simple: the first thing you will have to think about is the objective of the test (walking, running, pedalling, accumulating Kms ...) and the distance of the route: 3K, 5K, 10k are usually the longest distances common.
Next, you must choose the time period that best suits you to carry out the sports challenge and an application or watch that helps you in the organization and management of the participants (Garmin, Strava, Polar are some options that can help you).
The collection management can be done through migranodearena: thanks to the donor report that you have available in the private profile of the website, you can easily manage the sending of a number or shirt (designed for the occasion with the logo of your entity) in exchange for the donation. We recommend creating a campaign #, and that you promote among the participants that they upload images with the shirt to their social networks and using the campaign #, that will give a lot of visibility to the event and your cause.
Finally, we suggest that to promote participation you offer a reward to the participants, something symbolic related to your entity is always a success.
An example of success was that of the AMPA of the IPSI school in Barcelona. Given the impossibility of organizing his traditional solidarity course due to home confinement during April last year, he decided to organize it online. They proposed their participants to carry out the sports activity they preferred (running around the house, doing stationary, elliptical, Pilates…) and thanks to this initiative they managed to raise € 17,439 in favour of the Hospital del Clínic.
2.- Create a great solidarity event and look for people who create challenges in your favour:
A great success story of a digital sports event in 2020 was carried out by the PSE entity for the smile of a child, with which they managed to raise € 45,194. The challenge consisted of PSE volunteers traveling 13,000 km, the equivalent of the distance between Madrid and Phmon Penh in 5 weeks, in order to raise funds and send food aid to the poorest families in Cambodia. The keys to the success of this event were:
- With creativity and positivism, they managed to turn a threat (the fact that the volunteers that year could not travel to help Cambodia due to COVID-19 into an opportunity: the mobilization of all of them to help in another way.
- They created an event in migranodearena respecting the coherence of the entity's brand, with uniformity in all challenges and using the corporate colours and the entity's
- Theentityprovided the participants with the creativities for the event, which helped to spread a homogeneous image of the event and coordinated communication between the entity and the participants.
- They had 60 challenges, 60 ambassadors for their cause, who helped them to publicize their cause and to get new donors.
- In addition to the success in the collection, they achieved the loyalty of their participants with great pride in the spirit of belonging to this select group that had achieved great success among the most
As you can see, organizing a sports and solidarity event online is very simple. Get in touch with our team and we will help you make it a success.